[mythtvnz] Detect manual power-on and start MythFrontend - how?

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Mon Jun 2 22:20:51 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 22:21 +1200, Criggie wrote:
> Matt Poff wrote:
> > Curious to know how others are handling this (if at all)?
>
> I don't - kinda.  My backend is always on, but is out in the garage
> where the aerials are.  It doesn't even have X installed.
>
> Theres an old P3 inside as a dedicated front end, which runs X out of
> inittab, and then runs mythfrontend out of that user's .Xsession file.
>   Then when X quits it runs sudo poweroff.

You're game, on my frontend, if X exists then iniittab restarts X and
the frontend.  This nicely handles the case where mythfrontend crashes
(or needs to be killed because it has locked up).

To shutdown our frontend we use the "Exit and shutdown" option when
exiting the frontend.

I've been meaning to package these bits and pieces up into a .deb but
haven't gotten around to it yet.

Actually, I've been meaning to hook one of the buttons on our remote
control a "kill myth" command so that I don't have to ssh in from
another box to kill the frontend (this is a regular occurance).

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At home: andrew at etc.gen.nz       |  This space intentionally