[mythtvnz] Problems with PVR Analog and DVB-S Cards

Hamish Tweedie htweedie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:22:36 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Hamish Tweedie <htweedie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>   Thanks .. thats where I started :-) Had the analog cards in and as soon
>> as I added the DVB-S cards the problem erupted. Attacked it from the othe
>> end (i.e. DVB-S and then analog) and still come with the same problem.
>>

> Have you tried one analogue card and one DVB card? Have you tried using
> something other than Myth to test the analogue cards (e.g. xawtv)

  Thanks Steve, good thinking.

  I had a play with xawtv and couldn't get much further ahead. I then
checked dmesg and saw that ivtv0 was being loaded up with the wrong PAL
standard (not B/G). I then used v4l2ctl to set the PAL format, and tuning
frequency for each of video0  (PVR350) and video1 (PVR250).

 I then just tried cat /dev/video0 >test.mpg for each of the PVR350/250. The
PVR350 still gave an empty file but the PVR250 pulled down a nice file :-)

  So at least I am getting somewhere :-) The PVR350 is one of those super
multi standard ones (it does PAL, SECAM and NTSC on the one card) whereas
the PVR250 is just a straight PAL B/G.

  Anyhow, I rebooted the machine and checked the standard on the PVR350 and
it said it was PAL (funny I thought it would default back to the multi
standard .. funnily dmesg says it is PAL-I and vl2ctl says it is all PAL
standards). So I tried a capture again on this card (after setting the
frequency) and it came up with a capture that was crappy quality, so it
looks to still be capturing in PAL-I.

  So in summary it looks like the multi standard card is causing me grief.
Anybody got any experience in setting standards via MythTV or ivtv with
these multi standard cards (I thought all of this had been fixed up in ivtv
.. in earlier years I had to set all kinds of settings in the card at boot
up)?

   Worst case is I install the other PAL B/G 350 I have and run with the PAL
B/G 250 as well.

  Thanks again Steve, your back to basics approach looks to have solved the
problem (I was naively thinking that if I was getting the card tuned in then
clearly it had a signal etc so must be some other issue).

  Hamish