[mythtvnz] Problems with PVR Analog and DVB-S Cards

Hamish Tweedie htweedie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:47:15 BST 2008

  Thanks Steve

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not what I see. I have a SkyStar 2 for Freeview and a PVR150 for
> Sky output and MythTV always favors the SkyStar 2 over the PVR150 as that's
> what I've told it to do. Here are a few things to check:
> * Priorities, obviously. I have the input priority for the DVB->Satellite
> Input Connection set to +3 and PVR->Sky input connection set to 0 (your
> names will probably be different).

I've done a similar thing, but my DVB-S cards are set to +5 and PVR to 0, so
should be the same result.

> * Channel setup. Each copy of a particular channel should have the same
> callsign. If you want only one copy to appear in the guide then they should
> also have the same channel number. To load EPG data properly they should
> probably have the same xmltvid.

I started off doing a similar thing (so that I could record FTA analog
channels, but now with multirecord available on the DVB-S cards there seems
little point recording the same channels on analog/DVB-S).

> * EPG data - for best results make sure all copies of a particular channel
> get their data from the same source. Otherwise you might find that analogue
> channel 2 has "Scrubs" while DVB channel 2 has "All New Scrubs" and that
> will prevent the scheduler using whichever one doesn't match the title in
> the recording rule. This is true even if both copies of the channel have the
> same callsign - the scheduler still requires the EPG data to match (this is
> because in the US channels sometimes have minor differences, e.g. local news
> or programs inserted so two copies of the same channel may not be exactly
> the same).

Again should be no problem as only the DVB-S cards share channels and the
analog cards share Prime/Trackside (which obviously aren't shared by the
DVB-S cards).

> You can get this to work properly - if it's using the analogue cards by
> preference then you have something in your setup that is causing that to
> happen. For more info, consult the manual (
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6), the wiki (
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scheduling_Recordings), and the main user
> ).

  Thanks I'll have a look. Not so worried about the preference issue at this
stage, but more the blank recordings when I schedule a recording. But might
read teh above to change the preference (so at least I can access the DVB-S
for Live TV)