[mythtvnz] Problems with PVR Analog and DVB-S Cards

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 07:37:58 BST 2008

Another common issue is the /dev/video* swapping places on reboot....
your sat cards (DVB-S) would still work but the PVR 250 and 350 would
be mixed up...

Jason Taylor

2008/7/15 Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:15 PM, David Lowe <david at thistledown.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> I'm really hoping the experts can help... I can't help with why the
>> analogue cards aren't recording, but its also my experience that no matter
>> what you do with priorities, myth always seems to go to the analogue source
>> first, which can be a real nuisance. It even happens if I select 'prefer
>> input' in the recording settings. So actually I'm no help at all sorry other
>> than to tell you you are not alone which can sometimes be comforting :-)
>> ...but I'd love to know the answer as well...
>
> This is not what I see. I have a SkyStar 2 for Freeview and a PVR150 for Sky
> output and MythTV always favors the SkyStar 2 over the PVR150 as that's what
> I've told it to do. Here are a few things to check:
> * Priorities, obviously. I have the input priority for the DVB->Satellite
> Input Connection set to +3 and PVR->Sky input connection set to 0 (your
> names will probably be different).
> * Channel setup. Each copy of a particular channel should have the same
> callsign. If you want only one copy to appear in the guide then they should
> also have the same channel number. To load EPG data properly they should
> probably have the same xmltvid.
> * EPG data - for best results make sure all copies of a particular channel
> get their data from the same source. Otherwise you might find that analogue
> channel 2 has "Scrubs" while DVB channel 2 has "All New Scrubs" and that
> will prevent the scheduler using whichever one doesn't match the title in
> the recording rule. This is true even if both copies of the channel have the
> same callsign - the scheduler still requires the EPG data to match (this is
> because in the US channels sometimes have minor differences, e.g. local news
> or programs inserted so two copies of the same channel may not be exactly
> the same).
>
> You can get this to work properly - if it's using the analogue cards by
> preference then you have something in your setup that is causing that to
> happen. For more info, consult the manual
> (http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6), the wiki
> (http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scheduling_Recordings), and the main user
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless
interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull
day." - Calven