[mythtvnz] Dead... again.

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Jul 7 23:39:31 BST 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 04:45:28 AlanP wrote:
> I had gotten very grumpy when I posted that, please excuse my bad temper.
> (Posting after a long day's work is bad.)

Indeed. My post may have been a tad harsh but it's a fairly standard reply
when people post something like that. You're entitled to a full refund on the
software and all that :)

> I've put more fans into the box, and it's still flakey, so I'm going to
> replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. A A64 4800+ CPU, 1GB ram, and
> http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA05908 ASUS M3A-H/HDMI -- does
> anyone know if this won't work with Knoppmyth or with Linux in general?

I know nothing about AMD/ATI chipsets myself although I hear they are coming
along well since the docs were opened up. I use Intel personally and it works
well.

If it were me I would be replacing things one at a time if possible. Then you
will be able to find out where the actual problem lies. It may just be the
video card for example.

> The problem that caused the DB corruption, I suspect, was having to power
> cycle the computer. It would boot, but show absolutely nothing through the
> video out, so I reset it decidedly more often than I should have, which did
> me no favours in the long run.

That will definitely be your problem. Database servers almost always have
unflushed writes so if they don't get shut down cleanly then they will very
often see corruption.

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware. Linux laptops.