[mythtvnz] Strange differences in recordings.

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Jan 31 11:12:47 GMT 2008

Phillip Baird wrote:
> The other night we recorded House followed by Boston Legal, then I
> edited and transcoded them both to remove the ads.  Looking at the Jobs
> in the status window House went from 1.9Gb to 1.6.  Boston Legal on the
> other hand went from something like 4.2GB to 3.6.
>
> Now considering both shows are about the same length I'm stumped to
> explain the massive difference in the reported file sizes.
>
> Another symptom was House played back perfectly while Boston Legal's
> audio was out of sync with the video.
>
> As far as I can tell both shows were recorded using the Default profile
> and then trancoded using the Default transcoder.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might have happened?
>
> thanks
>
> Phil

One difference is House was 60 minutes and Boston Legal was 80 minutes
(on my machine with DVB-S)

But you don't say how you recorded them.  Was it with a PVR card (MPEG2)
and if so what are your normal bitrate settings. Or was it via DVB?

Just taking a guess, I'd say that you've got an analogue card that
recorded House, and a DVB card that recorded BL (thats just me looking
at the file size and working back - my PVR records at about 2GB/hour and
DVB-S depends on the bit rate chosen by the broadcaster - TV3 seems to
be much higher than TV One/2 and was 4GB for BL the other night)

  - Wade