[mythtvnz] What DVB-T cards are people using in NZ?

Graeme Woollett graeme.joy at paradise.net.nz
Tue Feb 12 20:06:37 GMT 2008

> MythTV and DVB work really well for SD or MPEG-2 based HD. In fact it
> works better than with analogue. The problem here in NZ is the HD variant
> they have chosen to use based on H.264 + HE-AAC audio. This is relatively
> new in the DVB space and we are amongst the first half dozen countries to
> roll it out. Hence support in MythTV is currently somewhat lacking. Video
> almost works, but audio hasn't been implemented yet.
>
> Steve

This is why I opted to go for the hybrid cards like the HVR4000 or
3000.  The HVR3000 ($119+GST) is price competitive with the SkyStar2.
I have the benefit of stable DVB-S/mpeg2, and when support for NZ's type
of HD is stable (and when I have a nice new shiny HDTV :-) ), I'll
switch to DVB-T.
I suspect (and may be wrong) that if the support for the above cards is
only just there, (i.e not even in the mainstream kernel) support for
PCI-E DVB cards is a long way off.

My thanks to Steve, Craig and others for their work collaborating with
developers to make Mythtv & MPlayer work with NZ DVB-T

Graeme