[mythtvnz] What DVB-T cards are people using in NZ?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Feb 12 19:30:38 GMT 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 6:28 am, Jason Haar wrote:
> Kenneth Dixon wrote:
>> For just DVB-T I would recommend a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
>> 500.
>> It has dual DVB-T tuners with one antenna input.
>> A bit fiddly to get going, but well worth it. see:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_500_PCI
>>

> Hi Ken
>
> As the previous people in this thread said HD video&audio don't work
> under MythTV due to codec problems, can you explain to me what "well
> worth it" means? :-)
>
>  From what I'm hearing, the Linux hardware support for DVB is "just
> about there" - but the software/codec support still has some way to go
> before anyone can sit down and use MythTV in the same way it can be used
> TODAY with analog/PAL?

MythTV and DVB work really well for SD or MPEG-2 based HD. In fact it
works better than with analogue. The problem here in NZ is the HD variant
they have chosen to use based on H.264 + HE-AAC audio. This is relatively
new in the DVB space and we are amongst the first half dozen countries to
roll it out. Hence support in MythTV is currently somewhat lacking. Video
almost works, but audio hasn't been implemented yet.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz