[mythtvnz] What DVB-T cards are people using in NZ?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Feb 12 10:02:07 GMT 2008

On Tue, February 12, 2008 9:36 pm, Richard wrote:
> Yeah, the samples places are just box shifters and the others only want to
> deal in pallet and containers so finding out is hard, but I figure if I
> take
> one of each off deal extreme then I should get lucky with some of them.
> Thing is when you go to get more of anything they are always different
> thru
> there.
>
> I cant see any issues with USB thruput since they usually take the whole
> transponder under windows since that's needed for BDA support apparently,
> so
> the only issues will be if you have to use a hub vs root ports. Since
> there
> are only 3 channels active so far, once multirec is sorted that should be
> 3
> sticks needed, one per channel, but we shall see if that theory pans out I
> guess.

I've had no problems pulling 4 channels off a single device over PCI and I
don't imagine issues over USB. Like Richard I'd advise against using a
Hub.

Personally I'm after a dual tuner PCI-e device as I have spare PCI-e slots
on my units. 3 tuners with 2-3 virtual devices per tuner should resolve
most recording conflicts for DVB-T providing you have the grunt to play
the video.

Additionally I'd go for 1-2 DVB-S for ad-hoc channels, plus a analogue UHF
for Prime assuming they don't move to freeview.

Hmm so 5-6 tuners = Lots of disk... Time to buy more terrabyte drives.