[mythtvnz] What DVB-T cards are people using in NZ?

Tim Boobyer myth at netdaemon.org
Tue Feb 12 03:03:54 GMT 2008

On Feb 12, 2008 3:48 PM, Craig Whitmore <lennon at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > I am interested as to what DVB-T cards are people using in NZ, and their
> > opinions as to how the work, etc for HDTV?
>
> I have an HVR4000 . This does DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T, Analog TV, FM etc. (all
> supported under linux except for the FM Radio).
>
> It works really well and there are quite a number of people working on the
> support for it (When I first started with the HVR4000 there where no real
> working drivers under linux for it and now.. its 95% all working).
>
> The only difference between HD and SD is the reall the size it is broadcast
> and maybe the codecs they are using (and this really has nothing to do with
> the card itself as all it sees is data and it passes it to a program (such
> as MythTV).
>
> The real problem has been the codecs that Freeview have decided to use. H264
> with PAFF and LATM encoded AAC. Finding working Codecs for Windows is a
> hassel, but more is getting them supported in Linux (Mplayer, Mythtv etc).
> Under mplayer you should be able to have audio/video with quite alot of
> video problems and Mythtv you can get Video (mostly it just crashes) and no
> Audio. (yet)
>
> I'm just updating to latest SVN for mythtv and applying a few recent patches
> and Video should be alot better. Audio needs more patching to get working.
>

> Thanks

I am using a Leadtek DTV1000T.  The DVB part at least works perfectly.
 The analog RCA input didn't look very good when I tried it briefly,
but I would guess that is a software issue.  I had to recompile my
kernel to 1000Hz tick to get the remote working, but after doing that
it works fine.

I have dumped an entire mux to disk a few times with no issues so it
is certainly capable of handling the HD bitrates.  They seem to be
readily available in NZ for around about the $110-$120 mark, but they
only do DVB-T

I just got video working over the weekend in Xine/VDR (coreavc 1.3 +
xine patches + H.264 patches for VDR) but I still haven't got audio
playing in VDR - I know it isn't mythtv related, but I thought you may
be interested to know that the video is definitely playable under
linux :)