No subject

Mon Dec 1 15:50:27 GMT 2008

which, if loaded on the next X startup, will freeze your box. (Solution is to
tweak the settings and either delete the file manually or insert a script to do
it automagically on startup.)

The crying shame is that the SVideo output I am using is beautiful and the
Catalyst drivers still allow easy tweaking of the size and shape of the output
signal making adjusting it correctly for your TV easy.

All in all while I have a system that works, until a bit more work goes into
either the open source drivers (which don't have working TVout last time I
checked) or the Catalyst drivers - they aren't worth the hair pulling.

This annoys me as for Windows use they are excellent cards. But for linux it is
still a bit of disaster right now. So right now, once my box is repaired from
capacitor bulge issues, I am using the 8.12 Catalyst drivers which offer me a
nice stable system - but once I have some spare cash I aim to shove an nVidia
card in for the vdapu benefits. Then maybe I won't have to transcode everything
to view it thanks to the slower CPU I have in there...

Philip