[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Aug 21 00:37:34 BST 2008

On 21/08/2008, at 10:06 AM, Graeme Woollett wrote:

> Robert (mythTV) wrote:
>> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>>> Is there _anyone_ on this list that is able to watch TV3 1080i  with
>> no stuttering and using software de-interlacing, if so what CPU do
>> you have?
>>
>> I've just built up a (cheaper) mythTV box for myself which is proving
>> more than adequate with only a few caveats:
>>
>> Build Spec:
>> - Silverstone Grandia GD02B Black mATX Case
>> - Abit I-N73HD nVidia 630i Motherboard (onboard nVidia 7100, HDMI &
>> SPDIF Optical)
>> - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Dual Core 3MB L2 2.53GHz
>> - 2Gb Generic RAM (Single Stick)
>> - Nova-T 500 PCI Dual DVB-T Tuner (Using the remote for mythTV
>> control)
>> - Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Deluxe (Analog Tuner - for Prime)
>> - 2 x Western Digital 1TB SATA 7200rpm
>> - ASUS LightScribe DVD R/W
>> - Logitech Quickcam, USB Multi-Card Reader, Wireless Keyboard,
>> Mouse, etc.
>>
>> I'm able to watch TV3 (any channel) without any stuttering, and
>> with no
>> real issues ... although, I am cheating a bit while doing this.
>>
> Thanks for the responses guys, it seems that any dual core clocked
> below
> 2.5ghz (AMD or Intel) just isn't enough.
> How much optimizing room is there left in the h264 code?  If there
> isn't
> much, Am I better off with a AMD x2 5600/6000 or a X3 8450 triple
> core?
> i.e. how well does h264 scale across cores on a lower clocked CPU?

At the moment the ffmpeg H.264 code doesn't scale well on freeview|HD
playback across cores. I'd recommend going for the fastest CPU you can
get. The 6000+ are getting harder to get as AMD are recommending
Triple and Quad core units. Plenty of 5600+ Cpus around at the moment,
and I might try and pick one up myself next week.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz