[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Wed Aug 20 23:06:21 BST 2008

Robert (mythTV) wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>  > Is there _anyone_ on this list that is able to watch TV3 1080i  with
> no stuttering and using software de-interlacing, if so what CPU do you have?
>
> I've just built up a (cheaper) mythTV box for myself which is proving
> more than adequate with only a few caveats:
>
> Build Spec:
> - Silverstone Grandia GD02B Black mATX Case
> - Abit I-N73HD nVidia 630i Motherboard (onboard nVidia 7100, HDMI &
> SPDIF Optical)
> - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Dual Core 3MB L2 2.53GHz
> - 2Gb Generic RAM (Single Stick)
> - Nova-T 500 PCI Dual DVB-T Tuner (Using the remote for mythTV control)
> - Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Deluxe (Analog Tuner - for Prime)
> - 2 x Western Digital 1TB SATA 7200rpm
> - ASUS LightScribe DVD R/W
> - Logitech Quickcam, USB Multi-Card Reader, Wireless Keyboard, Mouse, etc.
>
> I'm able to watch TV3 (any channel) without any stuttering, and with no
> real issues ... although, I am cheating a bit while doing this.

Thanks for the responses guys, it seems that any dual core clocked below
2.5ghz (AMD or Intel) just isn't enough.
How much optimizing room is there left in the h264 code?  If there isn't
much, Am I better off with a AMD x2 5600/6000 or a X3 8450 triple core?
i.e. how well does h264 scale across cores on a lower clocked CPU?