[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 03:53:11 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Barry Clearwater <barryc at bcsystems.co.nz>wrote:

> I take the point that a high def signal is getting heavily compressed,
> but we *are* talking about well known compression algorithms are we not?

Well known but fairly new in terms of concerted use. Also there are
different levels of compression and different "features" used to encode
material. Some of them are more processor intensive than others.

> Should somebody be writing a more optimised piece decompression code,

Suggest you join the x264 or ffmpeg coding teams :-)

> or
> in a lower level language? (cough - assembler anybody!!??)
> ITs just a 2D picture, our systems are capable of rendering 3D on the
> fly...
> I must be missing the point and over simplifying it somewhere.
> <pride speaking>
> No way should windows boxes out-compute a gnu/linux system.
> </pride>

Well of course they do if nVidia supply windows users with a driver for
hardware h.264 decompression and not linux users.