[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Douglas Pearless Douglas.Pearless at pearless.co.nz
Wed Aug 20 01:14:55 BST 2008

   I am able to watch TV3, full resolution, using an intel Quad core
extreme 6800 with each core running at 3GHz, but I am not using all
the horsepower! (I set the priority to realtime "sudo renice -10
<pid>" to ensure it does not stutter)

   Cheers Douglas. Quoting Graeme Woollett <g.woollett at irl.cri.nz>:

> Barry Clearwater wrote:
>> I'm fascinated by the discussion about cpu requirements, can someone
>> briefly outline again the reasons that myth needs such huge amount of
>> processing for the h264 standard?  Are STB's that powerful, or is it
>> done with some proprietary decoder?
>> Is our decoder not low-level enough?
>>
>> Barry
>>
> Nvidia have been very slow to provide any h264 support for Linux given
> that they introduced purevideo in 2006.  My hope is that AMD/ATI will
> catch up and give NVidia the prod that they deserve.  Therefore Myth
> must do it in software.
>
> It is highly likely that the set top boxes will use either DSP or FPGA
> chips with IP cores to do the MPEG4 signal processing.  So it is done in
> hardware not software.
>
> Is there _anyone_ on this list that is able to watch TV3 1080i  with no
> stuttering and using software de interlacing, if so what CPU do you have?

Links:
------
[2] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/