[mythtvnz] CPU required for Freeview HD

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Aug 18 05:45:15 BST 2008

Andrew Richards wrote:
> This is somewhat related to the 'hardware recommendations for
> dedicated box' thread but I thought it better be a new one, on what
> people have found works so far for playing Freeview HD. I gave the
> patches a trial run today by installing Mythbuntu 8.04.1 onto my
> media-center using an external harddrive and got it all to work, but
> TV1 and TV2 where extremly borderline (worked with slow moving shots,
> couldn't cope with movement) and TV3 was a slideshow.
>
> Specs are: A64 3800+ (2.4GHz), 1GB and 8600GT using restricted
> drivers. Now that FreeviewHD is working, sound and all (thanks Paul!),
> I would like to move my box back to mythtv from Mediaportal and so
> intend on trying with my 5200+ X2 and intergrated graphics this
> weekend. I am interested in what others have tried and what has/hasn't
> worked for playing all channels?
>
> Also, does anyone else have a dedicated HTPC running FreeviewHD under
> myth yet? If so, how is it going?

Looking at dropping a faster CPU into my M2NPV-VM test rig as the X2
3600 doesn't even begin to cut it for TV3. It can just about struggle
with TV1/2 but doesn't leave any cycles for other tasks.

AMD have now released a 65W x2 5600 cpu which might be worth taking a
look at

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz