[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:21:16 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I would agree with you in terms of "require", however what I said was
> "pressure", which is not quite the same.  Regardless I would observe with a
> quick look on trademe that plenty of (analogue) TV's are being upgraded,
> supporting my proposition of "pressure" (being realised).

I think you have to do a lot more than point to 2nd hand TV sales to support
the contention that the analogue switchoff is pressuring people to upgrade.
Has there been a significant upswing in TV sales since Freeview and Sky HD
were launched (which would indicate pressure to upgrade)? I doubt it. Most
of these people are upgrading 29" or smaller TVs to 42" or larger flat
screens. My perception is that the low prices for larger sizes is far more
of a driver than digital TV.

The analogue switchoff is going to put people in the position of paying
something like $100 for a receiver (I'm expecting a reasonable price drop by
the time of the switchoff) or a lot more for a new TV. Only some of those
people will chose to buy the new TV - my belief is that of those people,
most would buy the new TV even without the switchoff. People who were
planning to keep their TV for a few more years are far more likely to simply
buy the reciever.

But the threat of the analogue switchoff is a major factor in the
development of HD services in this country. I really wonder if either of the
FTA broadcasters would have made the investment otherwise and it's clear
that Sky would not have without the FTA broadcasters moving first. I suspect
that without the government effectively forcing the upgrade the networks
here would have simply maintained the status quo. Just look how much earlier
Australia and the UK got HD services.

Cheers,