[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:16:38 BST 2008

2008/8/15 Steven Mulvay <steven.mulvay at slingshot.co.nz>:
> Thanks for that Andrew, your feedback sounds promising. I presume that
> if I just have the coax going from the arial jack point in the wall
> directly to the socket on the tuner card I won't require a splitter, is
> that correct?

Thats right, a splitter just, errr, splits the signal so you can plug
into two receivers (like a PVR card and the TV).

> It probably sounds like a stupid question but I don't
> know exactly what a splitter does. I presume it's just for feeding one
> coax cable into multiple devices, but for all I know it might do
> something special to the signal as well.
>
> Incidentally I like Prime too and that's the only reason I want to
> start of with analogue. I plan to get a DVB-S card at a later date.
> When that happens maybe you could tell me about the make and model of
> your splitter and give me a  few pointers on how to set it all up.

You won't be splitting your analogue signal for DVB-S, you need a
satellite feed.

A Sky dish will work (are there homes that don't sprout those dishes
left in NZ?). If you are feeding two devices (like two DVB-S cards or
a DVB-S card and a Sky box) you will need a splitter, but a different
one to the one you would use to split an analogue signal.