[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu Aug 14 11:11:06 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 21:31 +1200, Steven Mulvay wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've decided not to buy the WinTV-HVR-1300 because of some of the
> problems people have had with them and because I found out that
> Freeview is not planning to ever bring DVB-T to Taranaki.

Yes, Timaru misses out too. Oh well.

>  So now I'm looking at buying
> the WinTV PVR 150 analogue card. Has anyone had any experience with
> that card, if so how did you find it? Some people in the mythtv-users
> IRC channel said that they had poor quality pictures from them and that
> additional external tuner boxes are needed to get good reception. I
> certainly hope this is the exception rather than the rule. Any comments
> and feedback about the PVR-150 would be greatly appreciated.

The PVR-150 (and it's siblings) is pretty much the standard card for
analog OTA or S-Video input really. They work well with slim-to-none CPU
usage. A poor quality picture would be an exception AFAIK. The ivtv
drivers have been included in the kernel for a little while now so any
modern distro they should just work out of the box.

A small note; 2.6.24 does have a slight issue with "tinny audio" very
occasionally on some PVR-150 cards but there's a workaround for this.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealands Open Source Hardware Supplier