[mythtvnz] Quality of WinTV PVR 150

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Aug 14 22:39:34 BST 2008

Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 08:57 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> I found (when I used one of these cards) that running one of the
>> v4l-ctl commands to set the audio input worked to fix the problem. I
>> had a script that executed the command every 10 seconds or so and set
>> it to run continuously. I don't have a myth box in front of me, nor a
>> good enough memory for the details.
>>

> Yeah, that's it. It should have been fixed at 2.6.18, I thought it was a
> regression in 2.6.24.
>
> It seems to be dependant on the card. It happens to one of my friends
> boxes more often than another and ours it rarely happens (maybe once
> every couple of months). This is the incantation I current have;
>
> 	os.system('/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input=0')
>    	os.system('/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --set-audio-input=1')
>    	os.system('/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl -c audio_emphasis=0')
>

> On the original thread topic I agree with Nick. DVB-S is a much better
> idea in general, but if you are after S-Video for a Sky STB or Prime
> then a PVR-150 is stilla good choice.

Again I agree with Hads and Nick. Aside from the better video quality
Myth just works a lot better with Digital tuner cards. Get a couple of
DVB-S cards and you won't be disappointed.

If you must stay analogue the PVR 150 is a great card.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz