[mythtvnz] DTT testing - Wellington

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Sun Apr 27 14:18:58 BST 2008

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Define "near". With DTH we were using mature technology. Stable DTT is
> probably 6-9 months away from being useful and possible 12-18 months from
> being "consumer ready" unless we get some major breakthroughs.
>
> In real terms 18 months is still near..
I was thinking more like 1-3 months when I said "So I don't have a hell
of a lot of hope for anything more useful in the near future."

hayden.lovett at gmail.com wrote:
> So are you saying that mythtv will not be ready for digital terrestrial in NZ for another 9 - 18 months?  It seems so close now, how can it be that far off?

Not to be answering for Steve, but I'd interject that any hope of
getting hardware acceleration of h.264 on linux (ATI avivo or nVidia
purevideo or CUDA) would certainly seem to be out at that 18 month range.

Mike