[mythtvnz] Xorg and lcd tv's

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:41:50 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Rick Hudson <rick at kpo.org.nz> wrote:

> On 14/04/2008 1:20 p.m., Steven Ellis wrote:
>
> >> The old sony crt tv has died gracefully - thankfully I will now be able
> >> to replace it with a LCD one.
> >>
> >> I am a bit worried about the LCD TV's resolution of 1366x768 and how it
> >> will be handled by Xorg and thus Mythtv frontend (a laptop with intel
> 945
> >>  graphics and alternatively a desktop with nvidia 6200 video)
>
> Are you concerned that because the resolution is not normal-looking that
> it
> can't be driven at native resolution? If you're not a hacker then this is
> probably a valid concern but the newer intel grpahics drivers seem to be
> able
> to drive those chips at more or less any resolution you like with some
> effort
> in coming up with a suitable modeline. I don't know why this customization
> has
> to be so hard!

It's not the graphics card that's the issue - you need a tv that will accept
that resolution. For example, my plasma (which is admittedly old and cheap)
will not accept anything but "standard" computer resolutions
(640x480,800x600,etc) on the VGA or DVI inputs (dvi also accepts HDTV
resolutions). It won't accept a signal at it's native resolution so there
not way to drive it with a 1:1 pixel mapping.

Cheers,