[mythtvnz] Xorg and lcd tv's

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Mon Apr 14 06:23:28 BST 2008

On 14/04/2008 1:20 p.m., Steven Ellis wrote:

>> The old sony crt tv has died gracefully - thankfully I will now be able
>> to replace it with a LCD one.
>>
>> I am a bit worried about the LCD TV's resolution of 1366x768 and how it
>> will be handled by Xorg and thus Mythtv frontend (a laptop with intel 945
>>  graphics and alternatively a desktop with nvidia 6200 video)

Are you concerned that because the resolution is not normal-looking that it
can't be driven at native resolution? If you're not a hacker then this is a
probably a valid concern but the newer intel grpahics drivers seem to be able
to drive those chips at more or less any resolution you like with some effort
in coming up with a suitable modeline. I don't know why this customization has
to be so hard!

Even though 1280x720 is a standard HDTV resolution, I had a tough job getting
my intel 845 GPU to talk at 1280x720 - especially over DVI - just because it's
a non-standard resolution as far as the computer is concerned. It can be done
though.

My concern with 1366x768 would be that it's not the same as any video
resolution you're likely to encounter so even 720p will be scaled by a weird
factor (16/15) unless you can tell myth to output a 1366x768 screen and
window-box the video in a centred 1280x720 rectangle. I suppose it depends how
well the 945 does scaling. I'm willing to bet that filling the screen is more
important than possible scaling artifacts for most people. :-)

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/                                        rick at kpo.org.nz