[mythtvnz] Recording HD Content on Mythtv

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Sun Apr 13 07:57:14 BST 2008

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Reading:
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/5F522962FDEB7FDACC257423007F9807
>
> It seems that ppl are not "allowed" to record HD off DTT via PVR's.
>
> So.. comments? Mythtv an illegal device if used with DTT in NZ?

As I understand fair use laws, you can record shows and use them for
your own benefit, and show them in your home to family and friends.
But you cannot exhibit them publicly, or make them for sale.   That's
true not just for HD but generally for all broadcast media content,
AFAIK.    The format of the content, high definition or otherwise,
should not have any material affect on these laws.

The media owners cannot control our computers, or how we decide to watch
TV, so long as we are respecting their media ownership rights.

-Mike