[mythtvnz] DTT scan comes up empty, Nova-T-500

Michael Dilger mike at mikedilger.com
Tue Apr 8 10:24:32 BST 2008

I think I'm a n00b.   I'm probably missing something important.   I have
gotten this far:

--> Have a MythTV system working for several years with a Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR-150.    6 terrestrial analog channels.  No satellite.

--> I am using a regular fixed arial antenna... no rotor, no LNB,
nothing like that.

--> Got a *Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-T-500*, it arrived today.  Yippee!!!

--> Rebuilt the kernel (2.6.24 with patches, gentoo-r4) including
modules such as:

    *dvb_usb* disable_rc_polling=1
    *dvb_usb_dib0700* debug=15 force_lna_activation=1
    *mt2060*

--> Found and applied a patch to the kernel to adjust the
mad-pci-bus-hogging of the Via VT6212:
    http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=120599996404777&w=2

--> Found and downloaded *dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw*, and placed into
/lib/firmware

--> Shut down mythbackend, ran mythtv-setup.   The card was noticed, and
I tried to configure it.  Then it seemed to go away.  dmesg showed some
kernel bad juju, tainted thing, dumping registers, that kind of crap.
Rebooted.   Didn't come up.   Even power cycling and unplugging the
power cord did not fix it!!!  Physically removing and reinstalling the
card, though, did fix it.   The card is back.  Yippee!!!

--> I *do* have device trees in /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1

--> Tried scanning from the card in MythTV.  It finds nothing.
Sometimes the signal is 0, sometimes the signal is 55%.  Usually not
much in between.

--> gentoo emerged linuxtv-dvb-apps, to try the *dvbscan* program.   It
finds nothing as well.

--> Found and installed /etc/mplayer/channels.conf

--> Tried mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile tv6.ts dvb://"TV ONE"

    cinema mike # mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile tv6.ts dvb://"TV ONE"
    MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ (Family: 15, Model: 47,
    Stepping: 2)
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

    Playing dvb://TV ONE.
    dvb_tune Freq: 538000000

    MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: open_stream

    MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: open_stream

    cinema mike #

---> I checked the detailed coverage maps, and I should be WELL covered
by both Wellington and Palmerston North... maybe even too much so (ATSC
multi-path problems???)

*sigh*

Attached is kernel log (dmesg).

-Mike