[mythtvnz] TVNZ announces High Definition plans

Craig Whitmore lennon at orcon.net.nz
Fri Sep 28 06:14:10 BST 2007

Taken from: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1318241/1382873

TVNZ will bring New Zealanders the Beijing Olympics in High Definition TV on TV ONE.

The company will invest in the technology infrastructure to introduce both TV ONE and TV2 in High Definition on the Freeview Digital Terrestrial platform (DTT) platform by July 2008, in time for the Olympics in August.

HDTV gives viewers the highest quality picture available, together with surround sound.

On the Freeview DTT platform, TVNZ expects to provide about 50% of peak time content on TV ONE in HD, and 80% on TV2. This will grow progressively as local content producers gear up to make programmes in HD.

TVNZ Chief Executive Rick Ellis says the decision puts TVNZ in an industry leadership position in a rapidly changing digital world.

"This is a tremendously exciting step. To be able to provide the Beijing Olympics in HD is a first for New Zealand and will be a spectacular experience for viewers," he said.

Viewers will need an HD-ready TV set and a Freeview DTT set top box to receive the HD broadcasts.

HD-ready TV sets are available from electronics retailers now, and Freeview DTT set top boxes will be available early next year.

FAQs
When is this happening?
We are targeting July 2008, in advance of the Beijing Olympics in August 2008.

What is special about HDTV?
It gives you the highest quality picture available, it comes with surround sound, and broadcasters around the world are now planning to introduce it, or have already done so. It gives you the most 'real' visual experience possible.

How much HD content will there be?
Most international content is already available in HD. In peak time, TV ONE will carry about 50% HD and TV2 will carry about 80%. We expect the amount of local content in HD to grow progressively over the next few years as TVNZ and the local production industry gear up for it.

Will there be a sharp distinction between HD and SD content?
Within the HD channels, material that is not produced in HD (ie SD material) will be upconverted to minimise the difference in quality. There will be a difference in quality between the HD channels (TV ONE and TV2) and the SD (standard definition) channels (TVNZ6, TVNZ7 and Sport Extra).

Will there be Surround Sound?
Yes. Wherever it's available, we will broadcast it.

Where can I find the HD channels?
TV ONE and TV2 will broadcast in HD on the Freeview Digital Terrestrial (DTT) platform.

What do I need to receive them?
An HD-ready TV set and a Freeview DTT set top box. Viewers will be able to buy a Freeview DTT set top box early next year

The Freeview Digital Terrestrial (DTT) platform goes live in March/April 08. Will you broadcast in HD from the start?
No, but the Freeview DTT Set Top Box will be HD capable from day one and ready to receive.

Do I need a new TV?
TV sets sold recently as 'HD ready' will be able to take advantage of these services, providing the viewer purchases a Freeview DTT set top box when they become available in retail stores. It's expected they will be available by April next year.

Will it be on Freeview DTH (satellite)?
No. Freeview's satellite platform was launched using MPEG 2 technology because when planning began, MPEG 4 compression technology was not mature. From the consumers' perspective, Freeview DTH is the lowest cost entry into Free-to-Air digital television reception.
HD will be a point of difference for the terrestrial platform.

Will it be on SKY?
No.

Why did you choose the 720p standard?
It's the standard that's most compatible with the new flat panel display technologies, and 'progressive scan' the way the world is heading.
It's also the standard recommended by the European Broadcasting Union.

If other broadcasters choose a different HDTV format, will there be a problem for consumers?
No. The Freeview Set Top Box specifications provide for reception of both 720p and 1080i.

What bit rate will you be using?
We will be statistical multiplexing the video of 2HD channels with 3 SD channels, in 23 megabits per second, using the latest MPEG 4 compression technology - H.246 ABC.

Why have you brought HDTV forward?
Our first priority under our 5 year strategy "Inspiring New Zealanders on Every Screen" was to get our new platforms and channels underway. With TVNZ6 now about to launch, there was an opportunity to review our proposed timeline for HD. Technology is moving rapidly and costs have dropped dramatically, and our review showed we could advance our plans and accommodate the cost within our existing business plans.