[mythtvnz] basic problem

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed Sep 19 06:35:31 BST 2007

------=_Part_19652_30920377.1190180131356

On 9/19/07, David Lowe <david@thistledown.co.nz> wrote:

> I have set up a second capture card and
> told it that the default input is 'composite' and mapped that to a source
> and an input connection. It scans for and finds channels but I get no
> pictures.

Have you actually got a second capture card (that you've got Sky attached
to)?

If you have one card that you have both Sky and the aerial plugged into,
then in mythtv-setup you should have:
One Capture Card (MPEG: /dev/v4l/video0 or similar)
Two Video Sources: SkyTV and Broadcast (you can call them whatever you
like). I'm not sure of the correct setup for these for tv_grab_nz-py as I
don't use it myself.
In Input Connections you should have something like:
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (Tuner 1) -> Broadcast
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (S-Video 1) -> (None)
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (Composite 1) -> SkyTV
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (S-Video 2) -> (None)
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (Composite 2) -> (None)

You should then be able to switch between the inputs in Live TV using the
"c" key.

If you have two cards then you'll have to set up the second card in Capture
Cards and then in Input Connections you connect "Broadcast" to one card's
"Tuner 1" input and "SkyTV" to the other card's "Composite 1" input. In this
case you need to use the "y" key to change capture cards in Live TV instead
of the "c" key.

Incidentally, you'll get a noticeably better picture if you use S-Video
rather than composite to connect the Sky box to the capture card. You can
get SCART adapters that have S-Video outputs if your Sky box does not have
an S-Video output (some do, some don't). My advice is to get it working with
the wiring you've got first though. And if you do change later note that
you'll need to update the input connections in mythtv-setup to match the new
wiring.

Cheers,
Steve

------=_Part_19652_30920377.1190180131356

[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (Composite 1) -&gt; SkyTV<br>
[ MPEG : /dev/v4l/video0 ] (S-Video 2) -&gt; (None)<br>

------=_Part_19652_30920377.1190180131356--