[mythtvnz] Satellite Splitter and other Stuff..

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:09:22 +1200 (NZST)

Hi Craig

On Mon, September 10, 2007 2:35 pm, Craig Whitmore wrote:
> I have 1 Dish and have SKY/DVB Card and at the moment I have to keep
> swapping the cables over.  So what I want is a splitter (ie 1 in/multip=
le
> out). There are quite a few on trademe and I was wondering which one do=
> need?
>

> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Cables-aerials/auc=
tion-
> 117318628.htm?p=3D1
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Cables-aerials/auc=
tion-
> 117089780.htm?p=3D3
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Cables-aerials/auc=
tion-
> 116614016.htm?p=3D5
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Cables-aerials/auc=
tion-
> 117469846.htm?p=3D12
>

> Or can someone supply me a splitter with 2 short cables (for out ->
> receivers) (off-list)

I'd recommend a single port power pass as you have Sky. For some people
who use a dual port power pass there can be issues with Sky reception whe=
changing freeview channels.

> Also I am looking for a bigger system (Larger Antenna with mover etc to
> get
> multiple channels if someone can quote me off list for hardware/install=
).

Just Ku or also C?

> And thirdly.. I am looking into getting as many channels as possible, b=
ut
> running them at the same time (feeding them into multiple receivers)
> instead of having to wait for the mover to move it to see the other
> channels
> and loosing the channel I want just tuned to. Any ideas?  (7? Ku
> Satellites
> with H+V means 2 * Toroidal Dishes with 7 LNB's each?) (into then 14 DV=
> cards)

What you are looking at is something like this
http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/8-input-8-output-satellite-multiswitch-p-40=
4.html

For Ku you are looking at 7/8 birds from NZ, but some of them have nothin=
on them, and most are single Pol. A Toroidal plus a single dish would
probably work.

On the Toroidal
Optus B3 - V Only
Optus C1 - V Only - you need an Aurora card (D2 replaces this later in th=
year)
Optus D1 - H + V (V for Feeds), just use a dual ported LNB
Pas 2 - Airang - Korean
Pas 8 - Mac Tv (Taiwan) + ETC Punjabi
GE23 - Formally AMC23, currently empty but occasional feeds
NSS5 - Odd feeds, some signals later this year.

On the other dish you could get AsiaSat4

For more details on channels look at
http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/channels.html

Personally on my Toroidal I have B3, D1, Pas8 and NSS5 at present. D1 is
dual ported so I can do H + V.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz