[mythtvnz] How feasible is this...?

Steve Lang steve.lang at spl.co.nz
Thu Oct 25 03:27:34 BST 2007

Greeting my learned colleagues.

Have been lurking here for a while, decided it was time to post... This
is sort of potentially on-topic, apologies if annoyed. It 'may' be able
to be done with mythtv.

I want something to run headless (no local graphics interface required)
to tune into each of the freeview channels, and output all the shows to
individual files. I.e. have a large disk with one directory per day,
with every show from evey channel (presumeably saved under a filename of
the actual show and episode information), and to serve this out using
UPNP to component networked media players.

I would expect that with two DVB-S cards (one per transponder?) and
suitable filter programming (if the card has a filter) that this should
be feasible... There may be some questions around HD I/O, but more disk
would help here.

What I'm trying to acheive is effectively a TV based front end for my
UPNP media player, with the option of serving out 'near live' TV to
other yet to be purchased CHEAP networked media players.

Am I completely Nuts? Does this make sense?

Cheers -