[mythtvnz] Freeview Channels & EPG's and such like (a little confused)

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Oct 8 23:56:39 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 11:42:34 Nick Rout wrote:
> I have been away 4 weeks and in that time we seem to have more channels and
> so on available on Freeview.
>
> I have  DVB-S card and a PVR-150, but I am only interested in freeview
> channels, not Sky via composite or analogue channels via the PVR-150 (which
> is in fact therefore redundant I guess).
>
> At present I am getting http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/listings.xml.gz and have
> the channels lined up as follows:
>
> 1031.dvb.guide TV1
> 1032                TV2
> 1025                Maori TV
> 1033                TV3
> 1034                C4
>
> As far as I can see I should now also be able to get Stratos and TVNZ6 (is
> this TVNZ Sport Extra?). However some of these don't seem to be in the epg
> file.
>
> Can anyone tell me in words of one syllable how to get the most out of my
> system, assuming these new channels are any good at all? I am still on
> myth-0.20, mainly because I am scared to update my box which is running
> well. Knoppmyth also doesn't seem to have got as far as 0.20.2 yet either.

The issue is that the PIDs for the channels now conflict between Sky and
Freeview because of all the new channels.

To combat this we've come up with the new XMLTVIDs for the different sources.
They look like so;

tv1.freeviewnz.tv
tv1.sky.co.nz

This allows us to get around the duplicate problem. Unfortunately this means
you need to update the database for the new XMLTVIDs. I put a script that I
used for myself and a few friends here;

http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/update-xmltvids.py
http://epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/channels.conf

(you'll need the channels.conf file to go with it). Of course if it's just the
freeview channels it's probably easy enough to do by hand.

If you go this route then you can either use the listings-sky.xml.gz,
listings-freeview.xml.gz or listings-all.xml.gz file (listings-all is a
combined file of the other two).

All of these files use the new XMLTVID format. Currently there's more work
gone into working with the data from the Sky data so I would still recommend
using the .sky.co.nz XMLTVIDs for those channels which you can (1, 2, 3, 4,
etc.).

These files are generated by the new version of epgsnoop which you could also
use if you wanted.

Hope this helps,

hads

--