[mythtvnz] Problem with List

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Oct 3 11:53:42 BST 2007

> Hi Folks..
>
> I figured out the problem with the list and Orcon (I work at Orcon and
> look
> after their email server)
>
> Looks like recently (last week or 2) the email address which the mailing
> lists comes from has disappeared off the mail server looking after the
> list
> and the Orcon mail server checks for valid from address when email comes
> in.
> It does this via a Standard SMTP callback. As you can see blow the email
> address mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz doesn't exist and the email
> rules say you are not suppose to send out emails which you cannot bounce
> back to , so Orcon rejects the emails. I have whitelisted it at the moment
> until the admin can fix this up and make the
> mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz a valid email address.
>
> Thanks
>

> telnet smtp.ourshack.com 25
> Trying 84.45.68.116...
> Connected to smtp.ourshack.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 dog.ourshack.com ESMTP Exim 4.68 Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:36:35 +0100
> helo mail.orcon.net.nz
> 250 dog.ourshack.com Hello loadbalancer1.orcon.net.nz [219.88.242.3]
> mail from:<>
> 250 OK
> rcpt to:<mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
> 550 Unknown virtual address  <----- Invalid email address.. oh no..
>
> Thanks
> Craig

woot woot (I think the expression our US cousins use). So it was not just
me then...

I've had similar problems with not seeing my own email bounced back via
the mythtv-dev list as well - similar issue? (other see it OK as I'm
getting replies!!). I seem to get other peoples stuff OK via that list but
of course I could be missing 90% and not know it:-(

--
Robin Gilks