[mythtvnz] Video distortion from a Hauppauge PVR150MCE

Andrew W mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 28 May 2007 10:36:55 +1200

Hi all

I've been having this problem lately with video distortion on my MythTV
box using a PVR150MCE card.

I get what looks like MPEG distortion, skipped frames and distorted
audio when a bright object (or high-contrast object) is shown on screen
(credits or subtitles and bright objects such as white teacups,
pinstripe suits etc). Myth's OSD isn't affected.

The rest of the line from the object to the right of the frame goes
bright green and the frame beneath the offending object gets distorted,
with some of it looping over to the top of the frame.

The distortion shows on exported files and DVD archiving doesn't work
(dvdauthor gives up, complaining about too many frame drops).

I've created a sample from a clip from Breakfast this morning if anyone
wants to see it, it's 15MB, I'll e-mail it to anyone who is interested,
or if I've set up my webserver correctly, it should be at
http://58.28.159.33/breakfast-distorted.avi - note the light distortion
from the news ticker, and worse from the name caption, teacup on the
table, piece of paper, and the fireworks at the end of the clip.

It seems to be worst on TV1 and 2 but is noticeable on other channels
too. Prime is hardly affected which is strange. It seems to be worse on
lower broadcast frequencies which doesn't make sense as the problem
looks to be digital.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew