[mythtvnz] RG6 cable and mains power cable fed through same junction box - interference likely?

yuri mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 22 May 2007 21:29:27 +1200

On 21/05/07, Noel wrote:
> DON'T do it.  RG6 is NOT insulated for installing with mains cables.  If
> your water-pipe conduit is large enough run your new cables through
> that.  Otherwise get digging !!
> Imagine if the 230v cable has had it's sheath damaged by the drawing-in
> of the phone cable (I've seen this many times before) and the insulation
> is only just intact.  Now it would be scary to think of the consequences
> of livening up the braid of you RG6.
> PLEASE DON'T GO THERE
> Noel

Again, what Noel said!
The wiring rules, AS/NZS 3000:2000 clause 3.9.9.3 says:

<QUOTE>
Cables of low voltage [230V] circuits and cables of extra-low voltage
[your RG6 in this case] circuits shall not be enclosed in the same
wiring system unless:

(a) The low voltage cables [230V] are of a type providing the
equivalent of double insulation; or

(b) All cables or each conductor of a multicore cable are insulated
for the highest voltage present; or

(c) The low voltage cables are installed in a separate compartment of
a common cable trunking system and the compartment has fixed and
continuous barriers.
</QUOTE>

Yuri