[mythtvnz] Freeview dish set-up woes

Richard mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 20 May 2007 15:41:50 +1200

If theres a short in the plug you should be able to see it, since you are
looking at the cut end of the coax cable.

If you cant see anything touching the copper coated center core, then its
fine, so its either a faulty meter or you have a dud LNB, which does happen.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Matt Poff
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:23 PM
To: mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Freeview dish set-up woes

Well, I figured the connection might be shorting somewhere so I redid
all the RG6 connections (screw-on). I've got the LNB out of the dish on
the floor on the end of the cable connections and the same thing
happens. Start dvbtune, the meter maxes out and squeals.

I can only assume something is shorting out again... anyone know of any
good cable service people in Wellington who would put crimped
connections on a few lengths of cable? Then again I guess they'll cost
more than the crimping tool I didn't want to have to buy in the first place.

Why the hell it's shorting I don't know. I've got a 1/4" of shielding
folded back over the wrapper, a 1/4" of inner plastic core with the foil
stripped off and a 1/4" of copper wire at the end. Should do it
shouldn't it?

Cheers,
Matt
v/mythtvnz/