[mythtvnz] RG6 cable and mains power cable fed through same junction box - interference likely?

Toby Mills mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 18 May 2007 15:21:53 +1200

Matt,

you will find that network cable and coax are fairly immune to EMI as
they operate at frequencies well beyond the 50Hz power frequency.
You would have to be drawing huge amounts of current to interfere with
these signals significantly and in most commercial installations, coax
and network happily coexist alongside TPS and in the same cable trays.
However, audio is a different story as 50Hz is a particularly nasty
frequency that will give you a nasty buzz coming through your sound
system, especially if you have mismatched grounds.
There are a couple of options for fixing this...

1) keep your audio cables a long way away from your power network and
coax (audio is much more suceptable and I 300mm is still close enough to
pick up noise).
2) make sure the audio devices all have a common earth (usually this
means plugging everything into the same power point) or ensuring you
house has a common ground stake.
3) go to balanced audio connections.

The third is the least common but by far the most effective. You can buy
balancing transformers from dick smith or if you are an audiphile there
are thousands of options.
I use this technique to pipe audio signal from my house out to my garage
out to amplifiers that feed various speaker zones in the house.

Balanced cables use 2 conductors and a shielded ground (standard RCA
cables just have two conductors one of which is ground), the two
conductors carry identical copies of the audio signal except that one of
them is out of  phase with the other.
You use a balancing transformer to flip the phase at the source.
What happens is that any interference introduced along the length of the
cable is introduced into both conductors equally.
You use another balancing transformer at the other end of the cable
which flips the out of phase signal back over again then combines the
two conductors back into one plus ground.
In the process of this, you effectively cancel out any interference that
was introduced along the length of the cable.
The result is crystal clear sound with zero interference and you can use
it to run audio signal for hundreds of meters without any interference.
If you find you have a lot of noise in your signal, this is a foolproof
and fairly easy way of fixing it permanently.
You need to run a different sort of audio cable, just standard
microphone cable is fine which you could also buy from mr smith, and you
would need one cable for each of the left and right signal plus 4
balancing transformers.

Of course if its only a short run you should be fine, but it pays to
test it before you seal everything up, I have seen plenty of cases where
someone has wired their house up then hooked it all up to discover a
horrible hum that comes through everything.

Cheers
Toby