[mythtvnz] The Number of Sat Channels Available in New Zealand

Craig Whitmore mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 14 May 2007 18:06:09 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel & Di" <noel@igrin.co.nz>
To: <mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] The Number of Sat Channels Available in New Zealand

> The toroidal dishes take alot of fiddling to get them right and their
> signal gain overall is not stunning.  I have found they don't perform as
> well as two seperate 76cm dishes with two LNBs on each.  If you want to
> watch channel-at-a-time and play at feed hunting, go for a rotator like
> the Motec - a good little unit, but do spend the time accurately setting
> up the mechanicals ie the mount MUST be vertical within an Nth of a degree
> and your elevation and declination needs to be spot on - will do a post
> for you soon on that. These links are a handy referance in the mean time.
> http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
> http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html
> But if you want to use your setup to watch one sat & record another sat
> (esp if they are different polarity signals) I would suggest seperate LNBs
> stacked 2 per dish. (or two rotators of course).  Dishes- bigger is better
> :o)), go for 60 - 76cm if you want to look at Mac TV or Arirang (you can
> get D1 on a tiny 40cm dish) or get a 1.2m if you're going to look at C
> band feeds. Me - I use a 76cm on a Motec for everyday PVR use & I have a
> 3.1m solid with an actuator for feedhunting which is also on

Do I need different LNB's for C band and the others?

So the best (at the start) do get as many channels as possible would be to
get
(say from freeviewshop.co.nz) at the start for watch 1 channel at a time.

Motec              $135
90cm Dish:       $80
LNB:               $39
Mount:            $40
Cable: (10M) $22.50
Connectors:    $3.90
Other stuff like ties/weather stuff $30

Total ~$350.00 rought (most likely cheaper for a all in one deal or from
someone else)
Anyone does installs what kind of price for someone else to install it on a
roof for me?

I presume diqsec 1.2? or higher would be needed to make the Motec move to
the correct place per satellite?

For C Band (what is available there?). I would need a larger dish? and
Different LNB?  I could put a normal and C Bank LNB on a larger dish and use
the motec to move it? (So 1 dish is used only)

Thanks