[mythtvnz] The Number of Sat Channels Available in New Zealand

Noel & Di mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 14 May 2007 17:16:44 +1200

The toroidal dishes take alot of fiddling to get them right and their
signal gain overall is not stunning.  I have found they don't perform as
well as two seperate 76cm dishes with two LNBs on each.  If you want to
watch channel-at-a-time and play at feed hunting, go for a rotator like
the Motec - a good little unit, but do spend the time accurately setting
up the mechanicals ie the mount MUST be vertical within an Nth of a
degree and your elevation and declination needs to be spot on - will do
a post for you soon on that. These links are a handy referance in the
mean time.
http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html
But if you want to use your setup to watch one sat & record another sat
(esp if they are different polarity signals) I would suggest seperate
LNBs stacked 2 per dish. (or two rotators of course).  Dishes- bigger is
better :o)), go for 60 - 76cm if you want to look at Mac TV or Arirang
(you can get D1 on a tiny 40cm dish) or get a 1.2m if you're going to
look at C band feeds. Me - I use a 76cm on a Motec for everyday PVR use
& I have a 3.1m solid with an actuator for feedhunting which is also on
my PVR.
Noel