[mythtvnz] With a Skystar2 card is a Hauppauge PVR (or similar) card still necessary?

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 13 May 2007 11:00:26 +1200

Steve Hodge wrote:
> In what way? 2 DVB cards will (eventually) allow you to record all the
> Freeview channels on two transponders (provided your system can handle
> the bandwidth), the cost of the cards isn't much higher than PVRs, and
> the quality is much better, especially if you've got bad reception.
> The only downside is the cost of installing the dish.

Ah OK thanks for clarifying. So would the set-up below be suitable?

[Terrestrial Aerial]                          [Dish w/ 1x 10750 L.O. KU
Band LNB]

             ------------------- [Diplexer] -------------------------

                                       [Diplexer]

             [2-way splitter] ------------------ [VHF/UHF to VCR or
PVR150 etc... ]

           [TVNZ]-----------[CanWest]
      [SkyStar2]             [SkyStar2]

If I wanted to be cheap and start out with one SkyStar card how trivial
is it to select  channels  from both transponders from within MythTV. Do
the source settings for the card need to be changed every time you want
to switch capture from a TVNZ channel to a CanWest one?