[mythtvnz] Non-square [expletive deleted] pixels

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 07 May 2007 08:45:06 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
> The max i can get my expensive LCD TV to go at is 1024x768. I'm not
> actually too worried about that because I don't have anything hd to feed
> it.
>
> But the annoying thing is that because mythtv sees 1024x768 it thinks i
> have a 4:3 screen, and letterboxes stuff. Its easy to fix in using mplayer
> in mythvideo by passing mplayer the -monitoraspect 16:9 switch, but the
> Internal player gets it wrong.
>
> I have set DisplaySize 347 195 in xorg.conf as suggested by the myth wiki..
>
> Any ideas?
>
> (Alternatively working modelines for a Panasonic TX-32LX500A, which should
> go to 1366x768 would be sweet)

I've been looking at this recently as I noticed that the new widescreen
freeview signals didn't look right on a normal CRT. If you run the CRT
as 720x576, which is our recommended resolution, it thinks the display
isn't 4:3. Other customers with 16:9 CRTs have similar problems. The fix
appears to be

    # 16:9 TV
    DisplaySize    352 198

or

    # 4:3 TV
    DisplaySize    260 195

I'm surprised that INTERNAL isn't getting it right. Have you got any
widescreen MPEG files that you can get INTERNAL to play via mythvideo.

You aren't forcing the aspect ratio on playback to 4:3? try playing with
the "W" key to flick through the aspects.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz