[mythtvnz] Unable to tune to DVB-S channels

Neil Bertram mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:10:31 +1200

Hi all,

After months of trying, 2 dishes and 3 LNBs later I finally managed to
get hooked up to D1 yesterday. I can view channels by piping dvbstream
into mplayer, signal strength and BER seem good....

So next was trying to get it working in Myth. This was a major mission,
as even though myth scanned the transponder fine and found all the
channels, when it came to watching them in the frontend they didn't
work. A little debugging with my satfinder discovered that myth was at
least tuning on the wrong polarity, so I checked the database and indeed
found it had filled up the table with rubbish entries on random
frequencies all on V, plus 12483000H (that wasn't actually linked to the
channels). I fixed that up manually with SQL, and it seems now Myth is
tuning to the transponder properly when I open up live tv viewing, as
executing a 'scan -c' in a console shows the right channel listing when
the myth tv viewer is up...

But the video output is completely black, down the bottom I get a line
saying "Test - TVNZ Unknown Signal 84% | S/N 4.8dB | BE 0 | (LMs)
Partial Lock".

I'm presuming the partial lock is the problem. I did some googling, but
couldn't find what LMs means, but it looks like I should have LMS
instead. I dumped out lots of debugging stuff from mythbackend, but it
looks like it's tuning just fine and I think it thinks everything's
working. There's no mention of anything bad anyway...

The card is a standard Skystar 2, still working fine on all channels via
dvbstream...

Any ideas?

Neil