[mythtvnz] Mythbackend on an old laptop ??

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:17:44 +1200 (NZST)

On Mon, March 26, 2007 12:04 pm, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Mon, March 26, 2007 11:35 am, David Zanetti wrote:

>>> the
>>
>>> If there is no TV reception, what is the point of a Mythtv solution? =
If
>>> you just want to watch videos and DVD's then something like geexbox m=
ay
>>> be
>>> better.
>>
>> DVB-S is visible everywhere, I suspect he means no terrestrial
>> coverage..
>>

> True, but its not what he says. He says "no coverage" so I suspected he
> just wanted a media PC.
>
> Perhaps Paul could clarify what exactly his mate is trying to do?

Actually my apologies, paul did refer to wanting a USB DVB device (but
confused me by referring to usb dvd later on). There are two lists of
linux compatible USB DVB devices that I have found, both of course at
linuxtv.org:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_at_the_USB_bus

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_USB

My inclination though is to go for the cheap desktop/tower option for the
back end, plus a UPS.