[mythtvnz] help with hauppauge pvr-150

Karl Leaning mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:22:16 +1200

I had a problem with the card where it was unable to load the firmware
into the card. I was following the install method for myth from the
unbuntu community site (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV). After
much digging around I found in the /var/log/dmesg

[   33.597018] ivtv0: loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
[   33.839015] ivtv0 warning: Encoder mailbox not found
[   33.878752] ivtv0 warning: Decoder mailbox not found
[   33.878754] ivtv0: Error locating firmware.
[   33.879715] ivtv0: Error -12 on initialization
[   33.879867] ivtv: probe of 0000:04:08.0 failed with error -12

According to the dox, everything should have been aok, I had done
everything as per the IVTV
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_IVTV_Edgy) guide but still no go.

I checked the /lib/firmware folder and noted that I also had two sub
folders that matched the kernel versions that had been installed on the
machine. I tried copying the firmware for the card into
/lib/firmware/2.6.17-11-generic (being the most recent version
installed), restarted IVTV and lo it worked!. Being lazy I just left
them in that folder, I know that I should have created links to the
actual files in /lib/firmware, not copied them!