[mythtvnz] FreeView MHEG-5 EPG in action

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 18:42:35 +1300

------=_Part_108827_27235943.1172900555770

On 3/3/07, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, March 3, 2007 6:04 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Do you know anything about TVNZ's plans re EPG data? Are they going to
> > continue to broadcast the data in the standard DVB way as well? If not,
> > will it be possible to extract the EPG data from the MHEG5 stream?
>
> Nothing confirmed, but there are some rumours that they will only have
> Now/Next in the EIT data. It is a way to force equipment suppliers to
> support their MHEG-5 based EPG.

Thought that might be the case. Also makes things more difficult for Sky,
should they decide to tune FreeView channels. AFAICS there's nothing
stopping Sky tuning FreeView channels without help or consent from TVNZ or
anyone else, but they are going to have to deal with the FreeView
broadcasters if they want the EPG data in their guide.

The data appears to be quite easy to parse. I was able to get a dump of it
> using the code from http://redbutton.sf.net

That's good news.

Cheers,
Steve