[mythtvnz] Streaming ShineTV

Nick & Ann Read mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:41:00 +1300

Nick Rout wrote:
> alternatively try this:
>
> make a file somewhere in your mythvideos file structure, called shine.avi, like:
>
> touch /myth/video/shine.avi
>
> Go into video setup and set a custom play command for Shine.avi, something like this:
>
> mplayer -fs -zoom (whatever your other standard mplayer parameters are) -playlist http://www.r2.co.nz/meta/shinetv-384.asx
>
> When you want to watch shine, go into mythvideo and select Shine.

OK that works great. What's more, I can manually record it to a file
like this:

mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv -channels 2 -playlist
http://www.r2.co.nz/meta/shinetv-384.asx -dumpstream -dumpfile
shinerecord.asf

Does anyone know of an easy way to automate this? I guess I could set up
a cron job to start it, but how would I stop it? (Manually I use
Ctrl-C). In an ideal world I would also insert it into the recordings
folder/database...

I don't suppose anyone has created a software 'tuner' that would look
like a capture card to myth but is actually capturing a stream from the
internet...? Seems to me this is going to be an increasingly popular way
to get your tv in future. I have a bunch of streams set up in XBMC
(xbox) and they are quite watchable except during peak internet hours
(5-11pm).