[mythtvnz] Timesync via Sat.

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:17:18 +1200 (NZST)

On Fri, June 1, 2007 11:46 am, Noel & Di wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
>

> Hi Nick
> Thanks for all that, I'm running a dedicated knoppmyth box & the time
> was initially out by several hours as a result of various fiddlings by
> me.  Used --force the first time only & --set generates no errors now.
> Normally this box has reasonable time keeping accuracy.  A tier 1 syste=
> - except where I've fiddled & tweaked. It's an old PC Chips board (pre
> '92 BIOS), 1.8GHz Athlon , 512 sheep, 250Gb HDD and R5F1 clean install.
> The poor thing has had a hard life & the on-board USB died after me
> powering things that just should NOT get powered from the USB, *lol* -
> have a MCEUSB remote, so I made a serial IR receiver & eventualy figure=
> out  (With help from the forums)  to use irrecord & re assign key names
> in lircd - all works well now.  Currently scrounging for a new
> motherboard so I can use ACPI wakeup - of whick I know little. An old
> DOS hound from waaay back, Linux is new to me & quite exciting.

simple test:

as user mythtv run:

date

it should come back with

Fri Jun  1 11:59:06 NZST 2007

with allowance for the real time. The important thing is that it says NZS=
and that the time is right to a minute or so.

Now reboot. User mythtv can do that by

sudo reboot.

After reboot run date again and make sure everything is still ok. If it i=
12 hours off or anything of that sort we need to fix it. If it is correct
then its fine and you can then fine tune regularly with ntp or dvbdate.

One point to notice, if you are using dvbdate, is that the card seems to
be needed to be tuned to a transponder when you use dvbdate. Thats ok if
the card is in use, but if its not your script will need to tune first,
then use dvbdate, then kill the tune process (so it doesn't block mythtv)=
..

All in all ntp looks simpler, and its designed to address your problem.
There are other advantages of having your mythbox on your LAN - mythweb,
streaming, the ability to ssh in and service it without an attached
keyboard etc etc.
--=20
Nick Rout