[mythtvnz] Timesync via Sat.

Noel & Di mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:46:58 +1200

--------------090006070900080700040008

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Fri, June 1, 2007 8:56 am, Noel & Di wrote:
>

>>Andrew Ruthven wrote:

>>>Slightly silly question perhaps, but is this in roots crontab?
>>>If you are, can you run `dvbdate --set` from the command line as root
>>>okay?
>>>
>>>Cheers!
>>>

>>The -- force option works!!
>>Thanks for that.
>>

>If it needs --force every time then your system time is drifting more than
>1800 secs (30 mins) between settings, which means something is seriously
>wrong.
>
>One thing is that your clock might not be getting set right on
>shutdown/startup. The mechanism for saving the system clock into the
>hardware clock correctly (so that the hardware clock correctly sets the
>system clock) varies per distro, but it is pretty important to get it
>right.
>
>On a system that runs solely on linux (and I'm guessing no one is running
>mythtv dual boot with windows) it is easiest to set the hardware clock to
>UTC (GMT). The system clock runs on UTC anyway, and the translation to
>your local timezone is done via /etc/localtime, or the TZ environment
>variable.
>
>But anyway, enough detail, if you need --force each time you update,
>something is wrong

Hi Nick
Thanks for all that, I'm running a dedicated knoppmyth box & the time
was initially out by several hours as a result of various fiddlings by
me.  Used --force the first time only & --set generates no errors now.
Normally this box has reasonable time keeping accuracy.  A tier 1 system
- except where I've fiddled & tweaked. It's an old PC Chips board (pre
'92 BIOS), 1.8GHz Athlon , 512 sheep, 250Gb HDD and R5F1 clean install.
The poor thing has had a hard life & the on-board USB died after me
powering things that just should NOT get powered from the USB, *lol* -
have a MCEUSB remote, so I made a serial IR receiver & eventualy figured
out  (With help from the forums)  to use irrecord & re assign key names
in lircd - all works well now.  Currently scrounging for a new
motherboard so I can use ACPI wakeup - of whick I know little. An old
DOS hound from waaay back, Linux is new to me & quite exciting.

--------------090006070900080700040008

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>