[mythtvnz] Intro/Background

Matt Crampton mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:51:04 +1200

------=_Part_130381_9656238.1184910664287

Hi List,

I've been subbed to this list fo a little over 6 months now and just been
'observing'. I found out about MythTV over a year ago and set about to build
one.

I finally got around to building it last November. At the moment my box
contains:

AMD Athlon64 3500+
Asus M2N-E mainboard (Nforce 570 chipset, AM2 socket, 6 SATA, 10 USB and 3
PCI)
1GB DDR2 RAM
320GB HDD
a PVR500
and a GeForce 6200 passively cooled for output.

I know the mainboard may sound a bit OTT but its there for future potential
as well. Im running Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy?). All this is wrapped up in a nice
Silverstone LC16m case so it fits in with the stereo in the rack. I haven't
gotten to the nice new LCD yet, so it's just using the standard composite
connection to the old 21" in the bedroom, using SPDIF for sound. A new LCD
would be nice, but that will come one day....

The LCD/VFD on the front of the case adds a nice touch too. The remote works
for the most part, just the PAD part for the cursor I haven't got going
properly yet, truth is I haven't gotten around to fiddling anymore with it.

At the moment, I bought another 320GB HDD to put in, but am debating whether
to do a clean install with Fiesty (Ubuntu 7.04) or keep what I've got. Also
wanting to setup LVM as well, so I can add more hard drives over time, as
the case can hold upto 6 and it's got enough SATA connections onboard.

But overall, I'm the freedom it offers of never having to find a blank video
cassette again. and a true story about its use, I was at my parents one time
and my mother missed what someone said on TV, so I instantly grabbed a
remote and realised, 'oh, normal TV, can't rewind.. d'oh!'

Oh and Hadley (nice.net.nz) and others, thank you so much for providing
listings, its the cornerstone for me with only having analogue TV, its a
brilliant service to the community.

Now I've introduced myself, time to hear from other 'observers'

Thank you MythTV, you've changed my life,

Matt.

------=_Part_130381_9656238.1184910664287

6.10 (Edgy?). All this is wrapped up in a nice Silverstone LC16m case so it fits in with the stereo in the rack. I haven&#39;t gotten to the nice new LCD yet, so it&#39;s just using the standard composite connection to the old 21&quot; in the bedroom, using SPDIF for sound. A new LCD would be nice, but that will come one day....

------=_Part_130381_9656238.1184910664287--