[mythtvnz] is there any way to check mythfrontend hasn't hung?

Criggie mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:24:24 +1200 (NZST)

Jason Haar wrote:
> I'm running "minimyth" - a PXE-booted MythtTV frontend on a small
> VIA-based box under my TV.
>
> It's not 100% reliable. Some times it hangs when fast forwarding/etc and
> basically I have to reboot it.
>
> What I'd rather do is have some daemon polling mythfrontend checking its
> working (a "myth-ping" if you like) and forcibly restarting all the bits
> that need restarting if an error occurs.
>
> Does mythfrontend have such a feature, or have others already come up
> with recovery mechanisms?

Totally untested, but the frontend runs a telnet server on port 6546.  If
that's not listening, then mythfrontend is probably not responding.

nmap -p 6546 127.0.0.1 | grep open > /dev/null
if $? == 1 then reboot   (or whatever is appropriate)

instead of reboot, maybe:
killall mythfrontend
sleep 3
mythfrontend