[mythtvnz] is there any way to check mythfrontend hasn't hung?

Hadley Rich mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 22:18:08 +1200

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:58:04 Jason Haar wrote:
> I'm running "minimyth" - a PXE-booted MythtTV frontend on a small
> VIA-based box under my TV.
>
> It's not 100% reliable. Some times it hangs when fast forwarding/etc and
> basically I have to reboot it.
>
> What I'd rather do is have some daemon polling mythfrontend checking its
> working (a "myth-ping" if you like) and forcibly restarting all the bits
> that need restarting if an error occurs.
>
> Does mythfrontend have such a feature, or have others already come up
> with recovery mechanisms?

Perhaps you could enable the network control port and then try connecting to
it every so often and take action if you can't. This relies on the network
control going down with the rest of the frontend.

Related to the same issue, I've switched from a minimyth frontend to a NFS
root small Ubuntu install as I found my minimyth installation not
particularly stable. The NFS root was quick and easy to setup and has been
considerably more stable.

hads

--
http://nicegear.co.nz