[mythtvnz] DVB-S Switch to HPol - Major outage expected

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:31:57 +1300 (NZDT)

On Thu, January 25, 2007 5:48 pm, AlanP wrote:
> At 05:23 p.m. 25/01/2007, you wrote:
>>Just had the following from TVNZ. Appears the switch to H-Pol is going =
>>cause a major outage if you use the TVNZ transponder. Details below.
>
> Luvverly.
>
>>As mentioned in the earlier notification, the future of the bouquet of
>>pass-through test channels (Deutsche Welle, CCTV9 and Bloomberg), is
>> still
>>being considered by members of the Freeview consortium and it's
>> continuity
>>is by no means assured as we approach the launch of the service.
>
> Am I the only one who is put in mind of wine? "Hmm, yes, the bouquet of
> this old vintage blahblah France blahblah..."
>
> I hope that if they do keep the foreign channels, they add a little bit=
 of
> EPG data for them.

I think they might hang around until someone is willing to pay to tack up
that block in the multiplex.

The original theory was 3 blocks of 6 channels allocated as
6 - TVNZ
6 - CanWest
6 - Others

Now it is looking like a pool of 18-20 channels which could be split up
any old way. Plus with the use of MPEG4 on DVB-T anything could happen.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales@openmedia.co.nz